Banana Stem Stir fry recipe with detailed instruction of how to prepare the stem or bale dindu and making the Palya.
Banana plant or tree is like Kamadhenu. every part is used 🙂 green Plantain, banana, Banana stem – and the banana flower can be used.
Banana stem is the best detoxifying food. This bale dindu is used in southern part of India- Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu..
Banana stem is rich source of fiber, potassium, Vitamins and it is diuretic . Regular use of this banana stem helps to detoxify the body , helps in weight loss, and prevent kidney stones.
What more we need, go buy the banana stem and start using it !
Baledindina palya is spicy, very tasty and very healthy side dish.
Interested in other banana stem recipe? Check this Banana Stem mosaru bajji
How to prepare the Banana Stem before using it:
Remove or peel every layer of the stem( 2 to 3) until you get the center core. This is the one we should use.
Wash this and cut it into small circles (disks) while removing the fiber using the fingers . Finely chop these pieces.
To prevent the chopped stem becoming brown, either place it in buttermilk, or squeeze some lemon juice and mix it .
To remove the extra fiber, place this chopped stem in the water. Take a wooden stick, move it ini a circular motion. All the remaining fiber will stick to the stick.
- 2 cup Finely chopped Banana stem / Bale dindu
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds powder
- lemon/lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 4 to 8 chopped green chillies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan, once hot add mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds pops, add urad dal. Fry it until the dals turns golden brown.
- Now add chopped green chillies, chopped banana stem and turmeric powder. Mix it.
- Add 1 cup of water along with curry leaves and salt, mix it and allow it to cook on medium heat.
- Stir it in between.
- Once all the water is evaporated, add mustard seeds powder, jaggery, mix it.
- Turn off the heat and squeeze the lemon juice and add coconut. Mix it and garnish it with the chopped coriander leaves.
- Bale dindina palya or banana stem stir fry is ready to serve. Serve it as a side dish with rice, roti…..