butternut squash palya recipe | Butternut squash stir fry recipe | Vegan and gluten free side dish | palya recipes @Swayam Paaka No onion No garlic recipe
Easy to make butternut squash palya goes well as a side dish for rasam rice, or with rotti, chapathi as well.
Try this tasty vegan and gluten free butternut squash soup as well.
Butternut squash is a type of winter squash orange skin and a bright orange interior.
The taste of butternut squash is fairly mild, and a little bit nutty
butternut squash is packed with, vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, fiber….
Ingredients for making butternut squash palya recipe:
- Butternut squash
- Or around 3 cups of cut squash
- 1 or 2 spoons of water
- ¼ cup fresh grated coconut
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Generous amount of Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp kadle bele / chana dal
- 1.5 tsp urad dal/uddina bele.
- 2 to 4 finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Wash, peel the skin, scoop the seeds out and cut as shown here
- OR You can use mandolin slicer as well to cut the squash
For making playa:
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add
- Dals .Fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- 1 tsp kadle bele / chana dal and 1.5 tsp urad dal/uddina bele.Fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Add chopped green chilies, fry it for few seconds, then add curry leaves, chopped squash, turmeric powder and salt.
- mix it well, sprinkle 1 or 2 spoons of water, mix it, cover it and let it cook
- After 3 to 4 minutes, check the palya.
- Check whether the squash is cooked, if not cover it and cook. sprinkle more water if needed.
- Once the squash is well cooked, add chopped coriander leaves and coconut, mix it well and turn off the heat
- Palya is ready to serve.