Simple yet delicious and healthy Palya recipe – papaya palya Recipe | raw papaya palya | pappaya palya | parangikai palya | Green papaya palya
Papaya palya is one of the palyas I frequently prepare at home. Easy make, tasty , and nutritious. Try the simple palya recipe using green papaya. This is Vegan and Gluten free palya recipe.
Green papaya is extremely nutritious and has lots of health benefits.
Benefits of papaya :
Low calorie vegetable – Helps in weight loss
Good for breastfeeding mothers increases milk production)
Good for diabetic people
Reduces menstrual cramps
Rich in vitamin C and E Which helps in reducing wrinkles
Good for digestion And many more
Also crush or powder some 10 to 15 seeds and boil with 2 cups of water and drink everyday for a week. This is good for the liver and get rid of worms
You can also use this papaya to make sambar , Idli, gojju, halwa…
Ingredients for papaya palya:
- small papaya or 1/2 papaya as shown
- Remaining papaya you can make idli, huLi/sambar/kootu..
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp kadle bele / chana dal/bengal gram
- 1 tsp urad dal/uddina bele/black gram
- 3 to 4 green chillies (chopped)
- few curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- little turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh /frozen grated coconut
- juice of half lime(optional)
- around 1/2 cup water(depends on the papaya)
- Peel the skin and scoop the seeds,
- then chop the papaya ( you can use mandolin slicer as shown here)
- 2.5 to 3 cups of chopped papaya
- heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add dals,
- Fry it until the dals turn golden brown.
- Then add chopped green chilies, fry it for few seconds,
- add curry leaves and turmeric powder, mix it
- Now add chopped papaya, and salt . mix it well.
- add 1/4 cup of water, mix it, cover it and let it cook . Make sure to mix/stir in between
- This is after 5 minutes – though the water is evaporated papayas still need to cook.
- Add another 3 to 4 tbsp of water , mix it , cover it and cook
- Once this papayas cooked and water is evaporated
- add coconut and chopped coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat
- you can add lemon juice now.
- Palya is ready to serve!
- For easy chopping this mandolin slicer to chop