Nuggekai sambar | Nuggekai huli recipe | Drumstick sambar | Moringa sambar | Vegan and glutenfree sambar recipe
Another tasty and nutritious sambar recipe using nuggekaayi / nuggekai / drumsticks
This is a recipe for another day to day sambar. Being a south indian sambar is our main dish.
Sambar is the most common dish in south Indian Kitchen. We use different combinations of vegetables, different spice mixes to make it more interesting.
As I mentioned in my earlier blogs sambar or huLi is our staple side dish for everyday meals. We prepare the sambar in many different ways and with different vegetables. Each sambar is unique in its taste. Flavors come from the vegetable we use and the masale as well . The Sambars can be prepared with toor dal or any beans like chana, peas, black eyed beans…
Also try these delicious sambar recipes such as:
Ingredients for making nuggakai sambar:
- 3/4 cup togari bele / toor dal
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp cooking oil
- 5 to 6 nuggekayi / drumsticks
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- Around 4 cups of water
- 1 tsp jaggery
- Amla/gooseberry size tamarind soaked in water
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tbsp uddina bele/urad dal/split black gram
- 1/2 tbsp kadle bele / chana dal/split bengal gram
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp menthya/fenugreek seeds/methi seeds
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 to 7 byadgi red chilies
- Little piece of cinnamon
- pinch of hing
- 3 tsp coconut oil/cooking oil
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- little more than 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- Wash and pressure cook the dal along with 1.5 cups of water, turmeric powder and little oil on medium heat. Turn off after 3 whistles.
- Wash and cut the nuggekai /moringa it as shown in the video
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan on medium heat. Add the cut nuggekai, add little turmeric powder, and a few curry leaves and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix it and let it cook. Check in between for water
- keep stirring and add one by one jeera,mustard seeds, chilies and cinnamon.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add dals/bele, and methi seeds, Fry it for 1/2 minute. then keep stirring and add one by one
- jeera,mustard seeds, chilies and cinnamon.
- Fry it until the dals turn golden brown, Then add hing and coriander seeds, fry it for 1/2 a minute or until it becomes little more than wadd coconut , mix it and turn off the heat. Let it cool
- Add coconut , mix it and turn off the heat. Let it cool.
- Grind the masale to a coarse paste
- I am adding onion to the masala here. It is optional
- Grind it to coarse paste adding enough water
- Once the drumsticks are cooked, add masale paste, add some water to the mixer jar, add that as well.
- Mix it, add 1 tsp jaggery, and remaining salt. Mix it well. Add cooked dal, let it cook /boil on medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Once the nuggekayi is cooked, make sure you mix this sambar gently so that it will not break apart.
- After 6 to 7 minutes – HuLi / sambar is done. We will add seasoning
- Heat 3 tsp of oil in a ladle, once hot add hing and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, after it pops turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the sambar and mix it. and Serve
- For this sambar you can add a small piece of onion while grinding or you add onion along with nuggekai to cook as well. Onion is optional
- To get the right sambar consistency I have used around 3 3/4 cup of water altogether