seemebadane kayi palya | chow chow palya recipe with detailed video instructions.
Very simple yet very delicious and healthy side dish is this seemebadnekai palya.
Chayote squash / Chow-Chow / Cho-Cho / Seemebadane Kayi is a low calorie food and high in vitamin C. It is rich in flavonoid antioxidants which help to protect the body against inflammation caused by free radicals.
Ingredients for making seemebadane kayi palya:
- 2 seemebadnekai | tender chayote squash
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal / black gram
- 1/2 tsp chana dal/bengal gram
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to 4 green chilis
- few curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp grated coconut
- juice of lime or lemon to taste
- Wash and cut the seeme badane kayi as shown here
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. once hot add mustard seeds
- after it pops add dals, once the dals turn golden brown
- Add chopped green chilis, curry leaves, turmeric powder, fry it for few seconds and then add cut seemebadnekai
- Mix it well. add salt, mix it and reduce the heat.
- Cover it and let it cook. Make sure to stir in between
- Once it is cooked well, turn off the heat. Add chopped coriander leaves, coconut and lemon juice. Mix it.
- Palya is ready to serve.
- This palya goes well with saranna(rasam rice), rice, rotti, chapathi ….