Menthya bele huli | methi sambar | fenugreek sambar
Another addition to sambar recipes is methi seeds sambar / huli .This sambar will be very tasty and healthy as well. Menthya / methi seeds/fenugreek seeds are the main ingredient in this recipe.
Methi seeds / menthya / fenugreek seeds have lots of medicinal value. They are loaded with antioxidants. These seeds promote healthy hair, and help to relieve discomfort due to arthritis. They also help to avoid constipation and aids in liver function and digestion. It helps in reduction of cholesterol and removal of toxins from the body.
Ingredients for menthya bele huli:
- 1/2 cup togari bele / toor dal
- 1/4 cup fenugreek seeds/menthya/methi seeds
To cook the bele/dal:
- 1/4 tsp oil
- ~1/4 tsp turmeric powder
To fry menthya / methi seeds :
- 1/4 tsp oil
- little tamarind – wash and soak it in 1/4 cup water
- around 3 to 3.5 cups water
- around 2 to 2.5 tablespoon sambar powder (recipe link @the end of this video)
- If the dried coconut is not added to the powder, grind coconut witht the sambar powder.
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp jaggery
- few curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 pinches of hing
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan, fry the methi seeds until it turns golden brown. Then turn off the heat
- Wash the dal, pressure cook the dal along with fried methi seeds, turmeric powder, oil and 1.5 cups of water on medium heat
- Grind coconut and sambar powder along with some water.
- Once the cooker is cooled completely add ground masale, salt, jaggery, curry leaves , mix it well
- Add tamarind extract as well. Add enough water
- Let it boil on medium low heat for 8 to 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes – Sambar will be ready. Turn off the heat and add seasoning
- Heat the oil in a ladle, once hot add hing, mustard seeds
- After it pops add red chili pieces, turn off the heat.
- add the seasoning to the huLi/sambar. Serve this with rice.
- Menthya bele huli goes well with rice and akki rotti,