Easy, tasty and seasonal breakfast – mavinakai avalakki | Mavinakayi avalakki | Mango poha | ಮಾವಿನಕಾಯಿ ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ | Green mango avalakki | Green mango Poha
This is a Vegan & gluten free breakfast . Coming to avalakki We have three varieties of avalakki/poha, Gatti avalakki(thick), medium avalakki and thin also known as paper(telu) avalakki. For some recipes we use gatti avalakki/thick and for chivda/chooda we use thin poha. For this mavinakai avalakki recipe, medium avalakki works well. Now it is the mango season, make use of the green mango and try this delicious breakfast.
If you are interested in avalakki/poha recipes check this
Avalakki Pongal, huli bellada Avalakki , Mosaravalakki, avalakki kayi bella, avalakki oggarane also popular recipe such as gojjavalakki, avalakki sandige
Ingredients for mavinakai avalakki:
- 1 green mango(any variety will be ok)
- 3 cup medium avalakki /poha
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- around 10 red chilies(depending on the spice level)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp uddina bele / urad dal/
- 1 tsp kadle bele/chana dal
- 2 tbsp peanuts/groundnuts
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp rasam powder/sarina pudi
- little hing
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 3 tbsp jaggery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and grate the mango
- Powder the red chilies, add grated mango to the chili powder, add 1/2 of the coconut, and grind it.
- Wash the avalakki and keep it ready.
Making mango avalakki:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium low heat, once the oil is hot add mustard seeds
- After it pops, add dals, fry it until the dals turn golden brown, then add peanuts.
- while stirring, add one by one – curry leaves, hing, turmeric powder and ground mango masale,
- rasam powder, jaggery, and salt as well. Mix it and stir for a few minutes until the raw smell disappears.
- After 3 to 4 minutes – add washed avalakki, mix it well.
- Finally add remaining coconut and chopped coriander leaves, mix it well, Turn off the heat and serve.