Tondekai Majjige huli | Ivy Gourd / Tindora recipes
Majjige HuLi is a very popular dish in karnataka. Once of the popular majjige huLi is using boodugumbala kai Majjige huli Recipe | Boodugumbalakayi Majjige huLior ash Gourd. But we as mysoreans prepare this nutritious and delicious majjige huLi with many different vegetables like Okra majjige huli / Bendekai, radish, potato, dantina soppu, kesuvina soppu …. each vegetables majjige huLi has its own unique taste.
Tondekai Majjige hulI is another variety of majji huLi we prepare. Try this easy side for rice, rotti, ragi mudde….
Some of the benefits of Tondekai is , raw tender tindora is used to treat mouth ulcers. Promotes heart health, bone health, improves digestion, and immunity,
Ingredients for making tondekai majjige huli:
- 2 to 3 cup cut thondekai / Ivy Gourd / (Kovakkai, Tindora, Dondakaya) (Wash and cut the thondekai )
- Around 1.5 to 1¾ tsp salt
- curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 cup butter milk or 1 to 1¼ cup yogurt cup Yogurt
- Around 2 to 3 cups of water
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1.5 tbsp channa dal (soaked in water for 2 hrs)
- 1 to 2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves
- 1 tsp jeera
- 4 to 5 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- pinch of hing ( you can buy gluten free Hing here)
- 1 dried red chilli cut into pieces. or you can use curd chilli
- Cook the cut thondekai in a thick bottom pan along with 2 cups of water, curry leaves, salt, and turmeric powder.
- While it is cooking, grind the masala (coconut, soaked dal, green chillies, coriander seeds, jeera, coriander leaves) into a fine paste.
- Add this to the vegetable and let it cook on a medium low heat.
- Now add butter milk or if you are using yogurt pulse the yogurt with a little water and add this to the boiling mix.
- Add water as needed to get the right consistency.
- Let it boil for some for 10 minutes on low heat and then turn off the stove.
- Heat the oil in a ladle and add hing, cumin/jeera.
- When jeera starts popping, add dried red chili and turn off the heat.
- Pour it on the Majjige HuLi.
- Majjige HuLi is ready to serve with hot rice or akki rotti.