Avalakki Chivda – Easy snack recipe. When it comes to some crunchy evening snack with coffee or tea, Chivda is the easiest yet yummiest snack on earth. One of the Janmashtami and Deepavali recipe. This is one of the different ways Chiva can be prepared.
Ingredients for Avalakki Chivda:
- 3 cups Paper Avalakki/telu avalakki/thin Poha (ತೆಳು ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ)
- 2 TBSP oil (ಎಣ್ಣೆ)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (ಸಾಸಿವೆ)
- 1 tsp jeera (ಜೀರಿಗೆ)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (ಅರಿಶಿಣ)
- ½ TBSP sugar (ಸಕ್ಕರೆ)
- 2 to 3 TBSP peanuts/groundnut (ನೆಲಗಡಲೆ)
- ½ tsp salt or salt to taste (ಉಪ್ಪು )
- ½ TBSP hurigadale (ಹುರಿಗಡಲೆ/ಪುಟ್ಟಾಣಿ)
- 10 to 15 pieces Dried coconut slices (ಕೊಬ್ಬರಿ)
- 4 Green Chillies cut into thin long slices (ಹಸಿರುಮೆಣಸಿನ ಕಾಯಿ)
- 2 to 4 TBSP Chopped cilantro/coriander leaves (ಕೊತ್ತಂಬರಿ ಸೊಪ್ಪು)
- 25 to 30 curry leaves (ಕರಿಬೇವು)
Watch the video for tips and instructions in Kannada.
- Make sure the avalakki/poha is crisp. The ways you can make it crisp is , Sun dry or Just Warm the avalakki in a pan on low flame and allow it to cool.
- Heat the oil in a pan and once the oil add mustard seeds, once it pops add jeera.
- Then add green chillies, fry it until the chillies becomes crisp.
- Add peanuts, fry it for half a minute and add chopped cilantro/coriander leaves. Fry it until the water evaporates, add curry leaves, fry it until the curry leaves becomes crisp.
- Now add dried coconut pieces, fry it until it turns golden brown, then add turmeric powder, mix it and turn off the heat.
- After few seconds(may be 30 seconds) add the hurigadale/fried gram dal mix it.
- When this seasoning becomes warm add avalakki, sugar, and salt mix it well.
- Now the crunchy and delicious Chivda ready to eat.