Easy, crisp and delicious heerekayi bonda and Seeme badanekai Bonda recipe. Ridge Gourd and Chow chow or chayote squash Bonda / Bajji Recipe
Bonda or bajji are very popular and the easiest snack which can be prepared in a hurry. This crispy bonda or bajji is made with seemebadane kayi – chayote squash – chow chow and ridge gourd or heerekai and rice flour and besan as the base batter. Spicy heerekai bonda will be the best combination with hot cup of tea or coffee in the evening especially on cold winter evenings. Here we are not using any soda for getting the crispy pakoras instead we are using more rice flour and ghee which gives the crispiest pakoda.
Try this heerakeyi bonda and seemebadanekayi bonda .
Also check these onion pakoda, aloo bonda, menasina kayi bonda, cabbage pakoda….and MORE bajji recipes CLICK HERE
Ingredients for making heerekayi Bonda:
- 1 ridge gourd / heerekai or chayote / chow chow
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup gram flour/besan
- 1/2 tsp om kaLu/ajwain
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder(more or less)
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp jeera powder
- 1/8 tsp hing/asafetida
- 2 tsp ghee
- around 1 cup water
- around 1/4 tsp jeerigemenasina pudi(optional)
- oil to deep fry the Bonda
- wash and peel the skin of the vegetables.
- Slice the heerekayi into circular discs as shown
- cut the chow chow as shown
- Take rice flour, gram flour, salt, turmeric powder, jeera powder, ajwain, red chilli powder, hing and jeerigemensaina pudi in a bowl.
- Add ghee and mix it with hand
- Add water little by little to get the required consistency of the dosa batter (I have used 3/4 cup+1.5tbsp water here)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat
- once hot (check by adding little batterto the hot oil, it has to come up immediately
- Dip the cut heerekai into the prepared bonda batter and add it to the hot oil one by one. fry it until the bonda turns golden on both sides
- After a minute or so flip the bonda and fry it on the other side as well
- now the bonda is ready, remove it and transfer it onto a colander
- follow the same procedure for seemebadanekai / chow chow as well
- repeat the same procedure with remaining batter and cut vegetables,
- adding ghee will make the Bonda crisp and tasty. No need to add Soda .