Brinjal onion Palya | Badanekayi Erulli palya
Please watch the video for detailed instructions to make Brinjal onion palya – Badanekayi Erulli palya .
Badanekayi or brinjal or Eggplant is a low calorie, low fat vegetable which is rich in soluble fiber and vitamin B complex groups like B1, B3, and B4. This helps in reducing inflammation and high blood pressure. Here is the tasty, simple and delicious side dish brinjal onion curry using Vangibhath powder for chapathi, jolada rotti etc..
For this recipe long green eggplants or mysore badane kayi tastes better.
For akki rotti recipe: –
malnad style akki rotti, ubbida rotti, jolada rotti, and chapathi recipe
To make Vangibhath powder CLICK HERE ON VANGI BHATH.
Try other Badanekayi / Eggplant / brinjal / Baingan recipes live Vangi bhath, sutta badanekayi mosaru bajji, Badanekayi ennegayi, badanekayi boLu huli/sambar , Udupi gulla Gojju | Sutta badanekayi Gojju
- 3 to 4 brinjal / badanekayi ( wash and cut as shown)
- Green long eggplants are recommended)
- around 3 small onions – chopped
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp oil
- pinch of hing / asafetida
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp split black gram / urad dal
- 1 tsp split bengal gram / chana dal
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- around 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- around 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp vangi bhath powder
- 1 to 1.5 tsp jaggery
- 3 to 4 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- chopped coriander leaves / cilantro
It serves around 4 people.
- Heat the thick bottom pan on medium heat. Once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add dals..
- Once the dals turn golden brown, curry leaves, add chopped onion, turmeric powder and little salt. mix it, and stir it until the onions are little cooked.
- Add the cut brinjal. (discard the water ), mix it well.
- cover it and cook it . make sure to stir it in between
- After 3 to 4 minutes … mostly the brinjals will be well cooked ( it should not be mushy ) by this time or else keep it covered and cook for few more minutes
- Now to this add remaining salt, vangibhath powder, jaggery, and mix it well.
- Add tamarind extract, ( if you use lemon add it after the palya is one) and coconut
- After 2 to 4 minutes.. water has evaporated you can see the oil in the palya. The palya is done.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix it and serve the badane kayi eruli palya with akki Rotti, jolada rotti, chapathi, …