hesarukalu kosambari | green gram salad
Hesarukalu kosambari | green gram salad | protein rich salad recipe | vegan | gluten free }| no onion and no garlic recipe
Here in this recipe I am making 2 varieties of kosambari / salad using soaked green gram. One is with cucumber and another with carrots, both kosambari taste different with those vegetables we are using. Each will infuse its own flavor to the salad.
You should check out One of our recipes that explains how to sprout the moong and make salads with seasonal fruits and vegetables. ALso read this interesting article written by Dr.shivashankar on sprouted beans as well. – “Sprouts – Panacea for many ills”
Benefits of Mung beans /moong / green gram:
Beans are the rich source of protein for the vegetarian diet. Many people cannot digest the beans, the best thing to do is sprouting it. According to studies and research, sprouting is a good choice for people with sensitive gut.
Mung beans / green gram are good for weight loss due to its low fat content, and high amounts of protein and fiber. This helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood system. The complex carbohydrates help with regulating blood sugar levels. It prevents rapid rises in blood sugar levels after eating a meal. Mung beans are considered to have many anti-cancer properties.
If you want you can sprout the greengram and use it. Sprouting the seeds/legumes helps to break down the complex sugar which in turn reduces the intestinal gas, which helps us to digest them better.
Ingredients for hesarukalu kosambari:
- 1/2 cup green gram / whole moong
- 2 carrots (wash, peel and grate the carrots)
- chopped/cut cucumber (wash, peel the skin and then cut)
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup cucumber
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- ~3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- big pinch of hing
- 1.5 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 green chillies(finely chopped or slit)
- chopped coriander leaves and juice of half lemon/lime
- Wash and soak green gram in 2 cups of water overnight or 6 to 8 hours
- Drain the water using a colander.
- Divide the soaked green gram into 2 parts.
- Now add grated carrot to one portion and cucumber to another .
- Add coriander leaves, coconut,and salt(divide into 2 portions and add)
- mix it
- Squeeze some lemon juice
- heat the oil in a ladle, add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add green chillies. Fry it
- as it changes the color, turn off the heat and
- divide the seasoning between 2 kosambari. Mix it well