Basale soppina huli | malbar spinach sambar | ಬಸಳೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪಿನ ಹುಳಿ
As I mentioned in my earlier blogs sambar or huLi is our staple side dish for everyday meals. We prepare the sambar in many different ways and with different vegetables. Each sambar is unique in its taste. Flavors come from the vegetables we use and the masale.
Here is a traditional Malnad / udupi sambar recipe using mangalore spinach/malbar spinach/basale soppu in kannada.
benefits of malabar spinach | basale soppu:
Basale soppu is loaded with vitamins, minerals, B complex. These Iron rich and calcium rich greens are very beneficial for kids and pregnant women. To have a balanced diet we have to include leafy green vegetables in our diet at least 3 to 4 times a week.
When you have mouth ulcers this is the one to chew on. This is the healing herb for the mouth ulcers. This Soppu has cooling effect on the body.
We are using the basale soppu or malbar spinach or mangalore spinach to make Basale soppina sambar | Malabar spinach sambar. this is vegan and gluten free recipes, Most of our recipes and dishes are naturally gluten free.
Chutney is another easiest and tastiest way of incorporating lots of greens in the diet.
For basale soppina chutney recipe CLICK HERE
Ingredients basale soppina huli:
- malabar spinach sambar
- 2 big handful of basale soppu | malbar spinach
- (wash and keep it ready)
- 1/2 cup togari bele
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds /dania
- 1/2 tsp uddina bele / urad dal /black gram
- 3/4 tsp kadle bele/chana dal / bengal gram
- 10 jeerige menasu /sooji menasu (optional)
- around 8 byadagi red chilli
- 2 pinches of turmeric powder
- little hing /asafetida
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- jaggery – small piece
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- around 5 cups of water
- medium lemon sized tamarind ( wash and soak it )
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- Wash and pressure cook the toor dal with little oil and turmeric powder. and 1.5 cups of water. turn off after 4 whistles
- heat 1/4 tsp of oil in a pan, add dals, red chilis,methi seeds and few curry leaves, Fry it for a minute
- now add hing, jeera, jeerige menasu, mustard seeds and coriander seeds, fry it until the dals turn golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder and turn off the heat. Let it cool
- Grind the masala alon with coconut. then add water and grind it to a fine paste
- Chop the greens, and add it to the cooked dal. Mix it and let it boil on medium heat.
- Once it starts to boil, add masale, jaggery, salt and tamarind extract. Mix it well.
- Add water to get the required consistency
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Heat the oil in a ladle, add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, fry it for few seconds
- Turn off the heat and add the seasoning to the huLi/ sambar
- You can add onion, potato and tomato to this recipe.