akki tari uppittu | rice rava upma
When we say akki tari uppittu, the first question many of you may have is what is akki tari?
So WHAT IS AKKI TARI?
Akki tari is cream of rice, which is rice rava or rice sooji prepared with regular rice. Idli rava is not the one we are talking about, Idli rava is also rice but that is usually made with parboiled rice.
So akki tari is – rice rava or rice suji or rice semolina or it is also called cream of rice,
Now coming to the dish, akki tari uppittu is a traditional brahmins breakfast recipe. We don’t use onion in this rice rava upma recipe. Simple oggarane / seasoning with enough grated fresh coconut to taste. This is a gluten free and vegan breakfast recipe
We have this video which explains the preparation of akki tari at home. Nothing can compare the taste of home made akki tari, but you are in a hurry or lazy to prepare at home, go ahead and buy from stores, and prepare this delicious uppittu for breakfast or any meals.
Other akki tari recipes are
Ingredients for making akki tari uppittu:
- 1 cup ಅಕ್ಕಿ ತರಿ/rice rava /akki tari
- finely chopped cilantro / coriander leaves
- 3 to 3¼ cups of water(water quantity depends on the rice rave)
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated fresh coconut
- 2.5 to 3 tbsp peanut oil or any cooking oil
- pinch of hing
- 2 tsp bengal gram / chana dal
- 1 tsp black gram / urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 green chilies
- few curry leaves
- Dry roast the rava on low heat until it turns golden brown, transfer it onto a plate and let it cool
- Keep the water to boil
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat, add hing
- Add mustard seeds, after it pops add dals, fry it until the dals turn golden brown
- Then add green chilies, fry it for a few seconds, add curry leaves, and boiling water,
- salt, and 1/2 the amount of grated coconut. let it boil
- cover it and cook it on low heat for 5 to 8 minutes checking in between
- When you check after 5 minutes, it the rave is not cooked well, needs some more water, boil the required water,
- Add it to the uppittu. mix it, cover it and cook it for 3 to 4 more minutes
- Finally add remaining coconut, chopped coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat.
- cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes and then serve.