Another variety of Mixed vegetable sambar with detailed video instructions.
Sambar/ HuLi is the most common dish in south Indian Kitchen. We use different combinations of vegetables, different spice mix to make it more interesting. In this recipe masale is mainly onion, garlic, coriander seeds and methi seeds.
We can use combination of vegetables or any one of the vegetables is also tastes good. Try this mixed vegetable sambar with rice, Idli. Very nutritious and delicious Sambar goes well with Raagi Mudde
Ingredients for making Mixed vegetable sambar:
- 1 cup = 250ml
- 1/2 cup toor dal / togari bele
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Vegetables – You can use mixed vegetables;es or you can make sambar with any one vegetables of your choice.
- I have used –
- green beans
- kohlrabi / navil kol / navil kosu
- tindora / thondekai
- around 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp jaggery
- few curry leaves
- around 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 4 to 5 cups of water
- 6 byadagi red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds / menthya / fenugreek seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut
- keylime size tamarind soaked in water
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- Wash the dal 2 to 3 times and pressure cook the dal along with 1.5 cups of water, turmeric powder and little oil on medium high heat. Turn off the heat after 2 to 3 whistles
- Wash and peel vegetables and cut the vegetables as shown.
- Take 2 cups of water in a big pan and add all the vegetables except potatoes. Add 1/2 tsp salt, cover it and cook it on medium heat
- Heat the 1/2 tsp oil in a pan on medium low or low heat, once hot add methi seeds, add red chillies, keep stirring,
- After few seconds add chopped garlic and onion, Fry it until the raw smell disappears.
- Once the onions changed the color, add coriander seeds, fry it for a minute, then add t he grated coconut, mix and turn off the heat
- Once the vegetables are half cooked add potatoes and cover it and cook it
- Grind the masala adding enough water and add the masala to cooked vegetables.
- Add tamarind extract, remaining salt, and jaggery. mix it and bring it to boil
- Add cooked dal, chopped curry leaves. mix it well and add enough water to get the sambar consistency. Let it boil on medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes
- After 5 to 6 minutes … add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Heat the ghee in a ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it sputters add jeera, then turn off the heat.
- Add the seasoning to the sambar and mix it. Sambar is ready to serve .
- You can eat with rice ragi mudde..