Multi purpose sambar goes well with Idli, rice, dosa, raagi mudde…. Is Potato Onion Sambar.
Simple preparation using rasam/sambar powder and Vangibath Powder.
Ingredients for making Potato onion Sambar:
- ½ cup toor dal
- Little turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp oil
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 1 medium size onion or 10 to 12 pearl onion
- 5 small potatoes
- ¾ to 1 TBSP rasam powder/sambar powder
- 1½ to 2 TBSP Vangibath powder
- Small key lime tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 1½ to 2 tsp salt
- Few curry leaves
- 2 to 3 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 red chilli (broken into pieces, optional)
- Wash and pressure cook toor dal with 1½ cups of water (medium heat 2 whistles) and keep it ready
- Keep 2 cups of water in a medium size pan to boil.
- Cut potatoes to around inch cubes and keep it in water.
- Chop the onions and keep it ready.
- Once the water starts to boil, add cut potato(discard water) and onion.
- To the half cooked potato, add cooked dal, salt, rasam and vangibath powder along with curry leaves and jaggery. Mix it well.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in between. Add coconut and squeeze the tamarind juice. Allow it to boil.
- After 8 to 9 minutes turn off the heat and prepare the seasoning.
- Heat the oil in ladle, once it is hot enough add hing, mustard seeds,
- Once the mustard seed pops add broken red chillis and turn off the heat.
- Add this to sambar and Sambar is ready now !