Heerekai tambli recipe | Heerekai tambuli recipe | ridge gourd tambuli recipe
Heerekai or ridge gourd is a low calorie vegetable. Here is the easy yogurt or curd based recipe using heerekai or ridge gourd.
Tambli or tambuli is a healthy addition to your diet. Along with the basle benefits we have the yogurt or curd which is a probiotic food.
Try other recipes using heerekai
Heerekai hasi majjige huli
Ingredients for making Heerekai Tambli recipe:
- 1 heerekayi/ridge gourd
- To fry the heerekayi/ridge gourd
- 1/2 tsp ghee/oil
- 15 pepper
- 3/4 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 green chili (optional)
- around 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ghee/oil for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera /cumin seeds
- 1 dried red chili (broken)
Also we need:
- 1/2 tsp rock salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 cup yogurt/curd (Vegans – use non dairy yogurt )
- small onion(optional)
- around 3/4 cup water
- Wash the heerekayi and just peel the ridges and cut into small pieces as shown
- Heat the ghee in a pan on medium low heat, once hot add pepper, jeera, fry it for 30 seconds and then add green chili
- fry it for few seconds, then add cut heerekai
- Fry it for a few seconds, then add cut heerekai, mix it, cover it and cook this on low heat. make sure to stir in between
- Once the heerekai is cooked well turn off the heat and let it cool
- Grind the cooked heerekai along with salt, and coconut without adding water first, then add 1/2 cup water and grind it to a fine paste
- Transfer half of tambli to a bowl and save it for the night or next meal. Or you can use all
- Add half the yogurt and pulse it . transfer it to a bowl
- Chop the onion and add it to the tambli
- Heat the oil/ghee in a ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, and red chili pieces, then turn off the heat.
- Add the seasoning to the prepared tambli and serve.
- You can serve the tambli without adding yogurt as well.