Readymade pongal mix or Ready to cook pongal mix is very handy when it comes to travel, especially for the people who avoid restaurants. These ready to cook instant food mixes are very helpful to take on business trips, or to kids who go away from home to college.
If we take rice cooker while we travel this is the another must to take recipe along with the ready to cook uppittu.
Pongal/Huggi is one of the healthiest foods from south indian kitchen. It is the Perfect blend of carbohydrates. Proteins, and all important nutrients. Moong dal or split green gram dal is highly nutritious and easily digestible legume. Khara pongal is a one pot healthy dish can be prepared for breakfast, lunch or for dinner. Here is the recipe of instant or readymade khara Pongal.
For Ready to cook Uppittu/ Upma recipe CLICK HERE
Ingredients to make Readymade Pongal Mix:
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup moong dal
- 5 to 6 cups water
- 2 to 3 TBSP ghee
- ½ to ¾ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 6 to 8 cashews
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- ¼ to ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dry grated coconut
- Crush the pepper using mortar and pestle and keep it ready
- Heat the ghee in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat.
- once the ghee is hot add mustard seeds, after it splutters add jeera
- Now add ginger and curry leaves, fry until the curry leaves becomes crisp then the crushed pepper and cashews, fry it for few seconds.
- Next add turmeric powder, rice and moong dal. fry it on medium low heat for 6 to 8 minutes stirring continuously
- after 6 to 8 minutes….add grated dry coconut, mix it well, add salt and mix it
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely before you store it.