Looking for easy and tasty breakfast or evening snack? Then you should try this Mangalore Udupi style Masale avalakki or bajil upkari. This is a quick breakfast yet a very delicious one. This recipe calls for thin / paper avalakki.
This is Vegan, gluten free and No onion no garlic breakfast. Good for fasting and festival days as well. The masale avalakki taste is bursting with spices coriander seeds and jeera, with right amount of sweet and chillies.
If you love avalakki / Poha you have to try these avalakki recipes such as HuLi avalakki, another variety of masala avalakki, interesting and tasty snack avalakki / poha cutlet. Avalakki bisibele baath And click here for more avalakki recipes .
Ingredients to make masala avalakki:
- 2 cup teLu avalakki / paper avalakki / thin poha
- 3/4 cup or more fresh grated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 5 byadagi red chillies
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sugar or jaggery
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/8 tsp hing / asafetida
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- First grind coriander seeds, jeera and chillies in a mixer to a coarse powder. then add coconut and grind it again to a coarse consistency.
- Take the avalakki in a big bowl / pan, add salt, and the masala
To make the seasoning:
- heat the oil in a pan, add hing, then add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, let this change the color, turn off the heat.
- Add the seasoning to the avalakki, add sugar. Mix it well.
- masale avalakki / bajil is ready to serve.