Ragda Patties – Vegan and Indian Chat recipe with detailed video Instruction
Gluten free Chaats are always super hit foods on any day and anyone. Most of our chats are healthy and very digestive. Here we have a simple , healthy and delicious protein rich chaat Ragda Patties. Ragda or this simple masala gravy is made with peas and other spices and patties are made with Potatoes. You can use Green Banana / Plantains instead of potatoes,.Ragda Patties is the healthy after school snack / Chaat for kids. And easy party chaat. You can prepare both ragda and patties ahead of time.
Also try these Masala puri chaat , pani puri, chana chat, Easy Corn Chat, Cucumber Chaat,….
Ingredients for making Ragda Patties:
For Making Ragda:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup dried peas (yellow or green)
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- 1 big onions ( finely chopped) OR
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1.5 to 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic ( optional)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 to 5 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp dry mango powder / amchur powder
- 1 to 1 1/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
For making Patties:
- 4 big or 6 medium size potatoes
- 1¼ to 1.5 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp coarsely powdered Jeera / cumin seeds
- Wash and soak the peas with 3 cups of water for 7 to 8 hours
- Drain the water from soaked peas, add 2 to 2.5 cups of fresh water, pressure cook this peas along with 1/2 tsp jeera on medium high heat. Turn off the heat after 4 to 6 whistle. Peas has to cook really well
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add green chillies,
- once the green chillies changes its color add chopped onion, turmeric powder, and little salt. Fry it until the onions are cooked.
- Now add ginger, and garlic. Fry it until the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped onion, remaining salt, red chili powder, amchoor powder and mix it. Let the tomatoes cook well
- Once the tomatoes are cooked add well cooked peas, add water . Let it boil on low heat for 10 to 12 minutes.
- It’s been cooking from past 12 minutes, ragda is done. Add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat
How to Make the Patties:
- Cook Potatoes peel the skin. Either grate the cooked potato or mash it using a masher.
- Add salt, and jeera mix it well.
- Wet your hands and divide into 8 to 10 equal parts.
- Heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil in a pan or in tawa on medium heat.
- Grease your hand, take one portion of the potato dough, make the ball flatten it. once the oil is hot, shallow fry the patties until it turns golden brown on both sides.
- After 3 to 4 minutes flip the patties and cook the other side as well.
- Once it turns golden brown on both sides, transfer it onto a plate
- Repeat the same procedure with remaining patties
Items needed to Serve Ragada Patties:
- Mix of grated carrot, finely chopped onion and finely chopped coriander leaves
- Sweet Chutney(optional)( For Recipe CLICK HERE)
- Green Chutney ( optional)( For Recipe CLICK HERE)
- Sev( For Recipe CLICK HERE)
- take 1 or 2 patties in a plate, top it with 2 to 4 ladleful of ragda, carrot onion mix, sweet chutney and green chutney. Finally top it with sev, place a lemon piece and Serve
- For making chats it is good to use dried peas