Ragi Idli is a very healthy, tasty and easy breakfast recipe. Not only Ragi is nutritious and healthy, Ragi, in fact, adds a very nice flavor to idli recipe. Here is the authentic version of the Ragi idli from my mother-in-law.
Health benefits of Ragi:
Ragi is rich in calcium, iron and fiber. It also contains phytochemicals, which aids in slowing down the digestion process. Ragi’s high levels of niacin help in increasing HDL cholesterol while lowering Triglycerides.
Incorporate more millets in your diet which helps you to loose or maintain healthy weight. If you are interested in Ragi Recipes try RAGI DOSA, RAGI AMBALI, RAGI MUDDE, and Try these Siridhanya and other millet Recipes
Ingredients for making Ragi Idli:
- 1 to 1¼ cup ragi hittu / Ragi flour /finger millet flour
- 1/2 cup uddina beLe / split black gram /urad dal
- 3 to 4 tbsp thick poha / gatti avalakki or medium avalakki
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Around 2 cups of water
- wash and soak the urad dal / uddina bele in 1.5 cups water for for 3 to 5 hours or overnight
- (you can add 1 tsp of methi seeds )
- wash and soak avakalli in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water for 1 hour
- or soak it along with the dal( soak dal and avalakki separately)
- Grind the urad dal adding all soaked water(if you are using grinder ) to a fine paste.
- if you use mixer, transfer some water , then grind it adding the water little by little to a airy and fluffy consistency batter
- Consistency should be a airy. Fluffy batter. Now add soaked avalakki / poha. Grind it for 5 more minutes(squeeze out the water if needed)
- transfer the batter to a big bowl or pan,
- To the batter add ragi flour and salt, mix it really well.
- If the batter is thick, add water and mix it.( mixing it with hand is more beneficial than using a spoon)
- cover it and leave it for fermentation.( 6 to 12 hours depends on the temperature)
- After 12 hours , we have the fermented batter.
- Mix it again.
To make Idlis:
- Grease the idli plates with ghee or oil
- Pour the fermented batter to the greased idli plates,(may be 3/4 full)
- Steam cook the idlis on medium high heat for 15 to 16 minutes . Then turn off the heat.
- After turning off the heat, leave for 3 to 5 minutes before taking the idlis out.
- Dip the spoon in the water and gently remove the idlis one by one.
- Serve the idlis with chutney, sambar…..