Watch the video for detailed recipe of Heralekayi Rasam or kanchikai saru which is gluten free dish.
Heralekayi – heralekai or kanchi kayi or citron lemon is very beneficial to health. It is like lemon which can be used to make chitranna, gojju… and panaka as well. It reduces the pitta imbalance in the body.
Heralekayi saru or kanchikayi saru or rasam is easy recipe can be prepared under 10 minutes, Heralekai saru is prepared with very few ingredients like jaggery, heralekayi, salt, jeera, curry leaves with pepper powder and green chillies. If you are preparing this saru for the new moms or bananthi then skip the coconut in the recipe
- 1 heralekayi / kanchikayi ( quantity of the juice depends on the quantity of the rasam/saru )
- 1 to 2 tbsp jaggery(depends on how sweet you want this saru to be)
- 2 green chillies (slit)
- few curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 2.5 cup water ( making rasam + coconut milk)
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 fresh coconut
Prepare the coconut milk :
- either by grinding this coconut using mixer (adding water )
- or squeeze the milk adding water as shown in this video
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/8 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- around 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp jeera powder
- Boil the water in pan.
- Once the water starts to boil add jaggery, curry leaves, salt, slit green chillies and let it boil
- Add water to coconut, squeeze the milk and add it to the saru
- Again add water and extract the milk, add it to the rasam.
- No need to discard the coconut , you can use this coconut for making rotti, palya…
- Mix it well and let boil for a minute or so in medium heat, then turn off the heat
- Heat the ghee in ladle, once hot add mustard seeds. After it pops add jeera, after few seconds add turmeric powder, pepper powder and jeera powder,
- Turn off the heat and add this seasoning to the saru, mix it .
- Cut and squeeze the juice from heralekai.
- Around 1/2 tbsp juice is enough for the quantity of rasam we prepared.
- heralekayi saru is ready, you can drink this as juice/ rasam or eat this with rice
use the remaining juice to make paanaka or chitranna