ಮೆಂತ್ಯ ಮತ್ತು ಸಬ್ಸಿಗೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪಿನ ಮಾಟವಾಡಿ ಪಲ್ಯ
methi leaves matvadi palya
Matvadi palya is a wholesome curry with protein and vegetables. My ajji used to make this palya with gorikayi(cluster beans), beans and even with greens like menthya soppu, baby dill. It is an awesome side dish that goes well with rice, rotis and you can just eat it as it is. This Matwadi palya is a very easy to make side dish. In this episode we are making matvadi palya using menthya soppu and sabsige soppu.
Benefits of methi leaves –
Methi leaves / fenugreek leaves are rich in iron, Vitamin K and C. They help to prevent anemia. Helps in digestion, controlling glucose, reduces cholesterol, and is good for hair loss.
And benefits of dill leaves:
Dill leaves are healthy greens which are
– anti inflammatory,
-helps to boost the digestion
-helps in reducing insomnia
-menstrual and respiratory discomforts
For joint pain eat a handful of raw dill leaves any time of the day.
Incorporate these greens at least once a week and enjoy the benefits. The easy way of incorporate them in our diet is cooking easy and healthy recipes like matvadi palya, idli, rotti, dosa and so on, we have an archive of methi leaves and methi seeds recipes at our website swayampaaka.com and youtube swayampaaka channel.
This palya is vegan, gluten free and without onion and garlic recipe.
Ingredients for menthya sabsige matvadi palya:
- 4 to 5 cups of chopped greens( i am using methi leaves and dill leaves)
- 1/2 cup kadle bele / chana dal (wash and soak the dal for an hour or 2
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 pinches of hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 red chili
- Soaked kadle bele /chana dal ( don’t add water)
- 1/4 inch fresh ginger
- 3 to 4 green chillies
- few curry leaves
- Wash and soak the dal in 1 cup of water for an hour or 2
- Wash and chop the greens,
- Grind the ingredients listed under “for grinding” to a coarse paste (without adding water)
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium low heat, add mustard seeds, hing.
- After it pops, add chilies, then finely chopped greens, mix it. add turmeric powder and salt.
- mix it well, reduce the heat to low , cover it and cook it for 2 minutes on low heat
- now layer the dal paste on top of the greens as shown
- cover it and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- after 2 to 3 minutes – dal is cooked, now mix it well breaking any lumps, fry it for a minute
- add coconut, mix it. turn off the heat.
- Serve this healthy, tasty matavadi or matodi palya as it is or as a side dish to rasam or sambar rice, with rotis and rotti as well.