Battalu kadubu | Dodna recipe | recipe
Dodna or battalu kadubu is one of the recipes from udupi-mangalore cuisine. Dodna is made with simple ingredients like rice, coconut and salt or jaggery. Steam cooked breakfast recipe. Vegan and gluten free breakfast.
Check these other kadubu recipes such as
Ingredients for making dodna /battalu kadubu:
- 1 cup rice (sona masoori)
- around 1¼ cup water (quantity depends on the consistency of the batter)
- 1/4 grated fresh coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
Making sweet dodna:
- 1 cardamom
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- Wash and soak the rice in 1 cup of water for 2 to 3 hours or if you are preparing this for breakfast soak the rice overnight
- Transfer some water from soaked rice to a cup, grind the rice and coconut to a fine paste.
- Transfer this batter to a bowl, add the reserved water to the mixer jar, add that as well
- Mix the batter well, add water little by little to get the consistency as shown.
- I Have used 1¼ cup of water all together.
- Add salt, mix it well
- Transfer half the batter to another bowl
For sweet recipe:
- add jaggery and cardamom powder to one half of the batter, mix it.
To make the kadubu:
- Keep water(around 2 cups of water) to boil in a pan on medium heat, keep the ring as shown.
- Grease 2 plates with cooking oil or ghee
- pour the batter as shown here, if you want thin put less batter or more if you want thick kadubu
- keep the plate in the pan, cover it and cook it for a minute or 2.
- In another greased plate pour the other plain batter and keep it ready
- Take the plate out and keep the other plate and follow the same procedure
- Remove the kadubu using the toothpick or knife edge
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining batter
- We can make around 13 kadubu.
- Serve sweet kadubu with ghee and plain kadubu with pickle and coconut oil or chutney.
- Since we have to steam cook the dodna, water should be boiling all times
- No need to grease the plates every time you make the kadubu