Rice Porridge or akki ganji or popularly ganji anna is traditional healthy breakfast of malnadu, udupi mangalore region. It is also very light and healthy breakfast. Rice ganji or rice porridge – easily digestible and soothing morning breakfast.
Ingredients for making akki ganji:
For cooking ganji:
- ½ cup rice ( you can use sona masoori rice)
- around 8 cups of water(quantity depends on the rice)
- ½ cup or more grated fresh coconut
- ½ tbsp salt or salt to taste
- ½ tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp jeera
- 2 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp jeera
- Wash the rice and keep it ready
- boil 4 cups of water, once water starts to boil add rice let it cook on medium heat, stir in between to avoid burning
- once the rice is half cooked add salt, cumin seeds, and coconut . Mix it. Add more water if needed.
- Stir in between and add water if needed, add 1 tbsp ghee and until the rice is completely cooked and looks completely mashed.
- The ganji is ready when the rice in completely mashed and cooked.
- Turn off the heat and prepare seasoning.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a ladle on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera. Then turn off the heat and add this seasoning to ganji.
- Serve this Ganji with pickle or as it is.
- You can cook the rice with coconut milk as well.
- Instead of cooking this ganji on stove to you can put everything in the pressure cooker and turn off the heat after 3 to 4 whistles on medium heat.
- Since the ganji is light and easily digestible, you can have it for breakfast and dinner as well.