Vegan sweet Potato roti recipe with detailed video instruction.
Sweet potatoes are the nutritious vegetable which are rich in Vitamin A, copper, manganese and Vitamin B6. We make different varieties of rice rotti using variety vegetables and greens, same way north Indians make different rotis with different green and vegetables.
You might have tried akki rotti, drumstick leaves rotti, avarekaalu rotti already, now try this delicious sweet potato chapathi or sweet potato paratha. Simple yet delicious healthy breakfast is this sweet potato paratha.
Ingredients to make the sweet potato rotis:
1 cup = 250ml
- around 2 big sweet potatoes or 4 small ones
- Or 1 to 1 ¼ cup sweet potato puree
- For this 1 1/4 cup puree- add
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ajwain /omkaaLu
- 1 tsp oil
- Around 1¾ cup wheat flour
- wash and steam cook the sweet potatoes on medium high heat for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked well.
- when it is still warm, remove the skin and mash it well.
- we have around 1¼ cup of sweet potato puree
- we are not using any additional water to make prepare the dough, prepare the dough while the sweet potatoes are still warm.
- and first add 1 cup of wheat flour, mix it well, then add the wheat flour little by little and mix it until you get the consistency of the soft roti/chapathi dough
- Smear a tsp oil on the dough and keep it covered for 10 minutes
To make the chapathi / Roti:
- Knead the dough once again and divide the dough into 8 to 10 equal parts
- Heat the tawa on medium / medium high heat
- Take on portion, make the ball, flatten it and then dip it in the dry wheat flour roll into a circle using a rolling pin as shown
- place the prepared chapathi onto the hot tava, once you see the small bubbles( may take a minutes) flip it to the other side.
- After a minute or less flip it again and press the roti with a spatula or a clean cloth.
- Before you take the roti out put some oil/butter/ghee .
- Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough