Happy DeepavaLi to all of our swayampaaka viewers.
Please watch the video for tips and instructions for making sakkare holige.
To celebrate deepavali we have traditional sakkare holige or kobbari sakkare obbattu recipe. Simple to make and very delicious sweet .
Check out these other SWEET recipes HERE , Festival recipes and payasa recipes as well.
Ingredients for making sakkare holige:
1 cup = 250ml
To make the Hurna / filling:
- 1 cup grated dried coconut( remove the outer skin and take only white part)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp rice flour or hurigadale hittu or wheat flour or maida
- around 2 tbsp milk
For making the dough:
- 3/4 cup maida / all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp chiroti rava or fine rava / fine sooji
- 1.5 tbsp ghee
- around 1/4 cup + 1 or 2 tbsp more water(water quantity depends on the flour)
- 2 tbsp oil
Yields around 10 holige
For making the dough:
- Take maida, and rave in a bowl, combine it , then add 1/2 tbsp oil . Mix it without adding water
- Add around 1/4 cup water and mix it, then add little by little to get the desired consistency .
- the dough should be as shown in the video.. I have used 1/4 cup +2 tbsp water
- Now to this dough add 1 to 1.5 tbsp oil on top, cover it and keep it aside for 3 to 4 hours minimum.
Making the filling / hurana:
- Heat a pan on medium low heat and warm the rice flour
- Powder the sugar along with the cardamom, then add the dried coconut, and grind it to a fine powder
- Transfer the powdered coconut-sugar to a bowl, add the warm rice flour, mix it well
- Melt the ghee and add this to the mix
- If you can make the balls like this no need to add milk, if you feel the mix is dry then add 1 to 2 tbsp milk and mix. ( it helps to roll the hoLige easily)
- Divide the mix into 10 equal parts and make the balls and keep it ready
Making the hoLige:
- Grease and heat the tava on medium low heat.
- If you are using the banana leaf, wash and just warm the leaf and grease it.
- Knead the dough / kanaka again for few seconds,
- grease your palm, take small amount of dough, and spread it and make it flat .
- grease your palm, take small amount of dough, and spread it and make it flat . Take one portion of the fillind, keep it in the center, cover it with the dough, press it and then roll it as thin as you want the holige to be
- now out this rolled obbattu on hot tava,put little oil, then flip it and cook it both sides until it is done,
- once done transfer it onto a plate.
- if you don’t have banana leaf, you can use a plastic sheet,
- and instead of oil, you can dip this in maida flour and roll it . and then follow same procedure to cook
- Dipping in the flour and rolling the obbattu is very easy way
- Follow the same procedure with the remaining dough and filling
- After the hoLige are cooled completely, it will become crisp. either you can eat crisp holige ot warm it to make it soft. Either way the holige will be delicious