Heralekayi uppinakayi- heralekai or kanchi kayi or citron lemon is very beneficial to health. It is like lemon which can be used to make chitranna, gojju… and panaka as well. It reduces the pitta imbalance in the body. Here is simple yet delicious heralekai pickle recipe. Try these other pickles – Mango pickle, midigayi uppinakayi, nimbekayi uppinakayi, and more PICKLE RECIPES
Ingredients for making heralekayi uppinakayi:
- 6 heralekayi /kanchikayi /
- 2.5 tbsp red chilli powder
- dry roast the menthya/methi seeds /fenugreek seeds and powder it
- 1.5 tbsp dry roasted menthya powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp salt ( salt quantity depends on the heralekai juice, so add accordingly)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp powdered hing
- wash and dry the heralekai and cut 3 to 4 heralekai into small pieces
- squeeze the juice of other remaining heralekai (discard the seeds as much as possible)
- add the salt, mix it and cover it. Keep it aside for 2 to 3 days . mix it everyday .
- after 2 to 3 days…. or when the heralekayi becomes soft, add turmeric powder, roasted menthya powder, red chilli powder and mix it really well.
- After adding the masale ingredients, mix it well and keep it aside for a day,
- if you are using steel utensil don’t keep the pickle more than 3 to 4 days. Transfer it to a pingaNi or glass jar
- Whenever you want to use the pickle, take the required amount of pickle in a bowl, and give the seasoning. This will enhances the flavor and taste of pickle.
- heat the oil in ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops turn off the heat and add hing.
- Add this to the pickle. mix it well and serve. If you want you can add water to make it more liquid. If you add water you have t o store in the fridge.
- While preparing any pickle, make sure the utensils , and hand should be completely dry. There should not be any moisture
- Make sure to add more salt to store it for longer time
- If you want the pickle with more juice, reduce the red chilli powder quantity and add jeerigemenasina powder