Masala Mandakki, a popular South Indian street food, is a delightful mixture of puffed rice, vibrant spices, and crunchy ingredients. This spicy and tangy snack, also known as “Kara Mandakki,” as well. It’s a must-try if you’re looking for a savory and satisfying treat that will tickle your taste buds. Enjoy Masala Mandakki as a quick snack or as a light evening bite, and savor the explosion of flavors it offers.
We already have the masala mandakki with green chillies(khara puri ), you should try this masala mandakki with unique ajwain/omkalu flavor. Eating with chopped onion is optional, but it is very tasty.
Other mandakki /puffed rice recipes:
- 5 cup puri/mandakki(sappe puri)
- 1 tsp ajwain/omkalu
- 3 red chili (more or less according to your preference)
- 1/4 cup hurigadale / fried gram/chutney dal
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp sasive/ mustard seeds
- 1 tsp jeera /cumin seeds
- 1.5 tbsp groundnuts/peanuts
- few curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Grind red chilies, hurigadale. and ajwain to fine consistency
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan on medium low heat, add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, and peanuts
- Once the peanuts are well fried, reduce the heat,add curry leaves, turmeric powder and the ground powder. add mandakki/puri as well.
- add salt and mix it really well.
- Mix it until the puri becomes crisp.
- turn off the heat.
- Once it is cooled completely, store it in an airtight container.
- eat as it is or add some chopped onion and eat!