Carrot Brinjal Onion Drumstick Sambar | Mixed vegetable sambar recipe | Nuggekayi, erulli, carrot and brinjal sambar recipe
This is a recipe for another day to day sambar. Being a south indian sambar is our main dish.
Sambar is the most common dish in south Indian Kitchen. We use different combinations of vegetables, different spice mixes to make it more interesting.
Try this tasty, delicious sambar – badanekayi / eggplant, carrot and drumstick , Onion sambar with rice, mudde or undligi..
Ingredients for making Carrot Brinjal Onion Drumstick Sambar :
- 1 cup sambar erulli / pearl onion
- 2 eggplant / badanekayi
- 1 or 3/4 cup cut carrot
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 nuggekayi / drumstick
- 1/2 cup togari bele / toor dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp oil ( cooking the dal)
- 1 to 2 tsp for frying the Onions
- few curry leaves
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tbsp salt or salt to taste.
- small key lime size tamarind soaked in water
- 4 to 5 cup water
- 1 to 2 tsp jaggery
- 1/2 tbsp hurigadale / fried gram dal
- 1/4 tsp oil
- little less than 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- around 1/2 tsp methi seeds/menthya
- 4 to 5 black pepper
- 6 to 7 byadagi red chillies
- 1/4 tsp chana dal
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- Pinch of hing
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 3/4 tbsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/8 tsp hing
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 1 green chili(slit)
- Wash and Cut the carrots, nuggekayi, badanekayi and keep it ready.
- Wash and pressure cook the dal / bele with 1.5 cup water along with turmeric powder and oil on medium heat. Turn off the heat after 3 whistles.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium low heat, add the ingredients one by one while mixing continuously.
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, peppercorn, and dals, fry it for few seconds,
- Then add red chillies, curry leaves , hing, jeera, fry it on medium low heat until the dals turn golden brown. Once the dals turn golden brown add coriander seeds, turmeric powder, fry it for 30 seconds.
- Finally add fresh coconut and turn off the heat.
- Grind the 1 tomato along with hurigadale, and the masale mix to a coarse consistency paste and keep it ready
To Fry / Roast the Onions:
- Heat the oil in a big pan on medium heat. Once hot add onions . fry the onion until it is cooked. Cover the lid, make sure to mix in between until the onions are well cooked.
- Transfer the roasted onions to a plate. Keep the pan back on the stove, add around 1.5 cups of water, add nuggekayi / drumstick and carrots. add 1/2 tsp salt and cover it and cook it.
- To the half cooked drumsticks and carrots, add cut brinjal, and 1 cut tomato along with 1/2 cup more water.
- Once it starts to boil add curry leaves, tamarind extract, and remaining salt. jaggery add water to get the required consistency. As the vegetables are cooking, add the ground masale paste, mix it well. And let it cook.
- After around 10 to 12 minutes on medium low heat, – add roasted onion, mix it and add chopped coriander leaves. Turn off the heat
- Heat the ghee in a ladle on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds,
- after it pops add jeera, then methi seeds, and green chilli and fry it
- Once the green chillies changes its color add red chilli, hing mix it and turn off the heat
- Add the oggarane / seasoning to the sambar and mix it well. Serve the Sambar with rice, rotti, mudde….
- I have used around 5.5 cups of water .
- You can use any combination of vegetables