Banana Flower Paya recipe | Balehuvina palya
Banana Plant, every part is consumable. Banana either green or ripe, banana stem, banana flower as well. We use banana leaves in making the kadubu, holige …
Check these mouth watering recipes of banana – Banana stem palya, banana stem raita, green banana palya, banana dose, banana kadubu/idli..
When selecting the banana flowers choose the firm and smooth, dark colored one.
Banana flowers have numerous health benefits especially for women, It strengthens the uterus, since it regulates the progesterone production in the body , it will help to reduce the heavy menstrual bleeding. Also helps lactation and many more . Women should incorporate this banana flower in their diet.
Other benefits – reduces hypertension, reduces blood sugar. Banana stems and flowers are used to treat kidney stones as well.
Here in this recipe we are using the banana flower to make palya. This Vegan, gluten free, no onion, no garlic side dish.
Goes well with rice, rotti, chapathi…
CLICK HERE for more PALYA Recipes
Ingredients for making Banana Flower Palya:
- 3 banana flowers /baaLe hUvu
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds(for masale/to grind)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds(for seasoning)
- 1 tsp uddina bele/split black gram/urad dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- around 6 green chilies
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 tbsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tbsp jaggery(optional)
- juice of 1/2 lime/lemon
- First remove the petals (and discard it) until you cannot peel it anymore. like as shown
- then chop this as shown
- or you can use the chopper to chop this flower
- Pressure cook the chopped flowers on medium heat. Turn off after 1 to 2 whistles.
- grind chilies, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1 to 2 tbsp coconut to coarse consistency
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal, turmeric powder and curry leaves. fry it until the dals turn golden brown.
- Then add cooked banana flower, salt and jaggery.Mix it well
- Stir it until the water evaporates,
- Then add masale, mix it , stir it for 4 to 5 minutes on medium low heat
- After 5 minutes- add grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves and add lemon juice. Mix it and turn off the heat
- Banana Flower Palya is ready to serve. Goes well with rice, rotti, chapathi or side dish to rasam sambar..