Green Peas Usli or BataNi usli recipe with detailed video instructions.
It is always good to incorporate beans in our daily diet., especially if you have young ones at home. Beans are high in minerals and fiber along with protein and without the saturated fat found in some animal proteins. It is believed that soaking the beans before cooking helps to remove some of those indigestible sugars that cause flatulence and helps to cook then fast. Soaking long hours helps in digestion of the cooked beans. Beans are rich source of soluble fiber which can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Usli/sundals are one of the many ways we can use the beans. You can soak the beans and add to sambar, add handful of beans when you soak the ingredients for Dose/dosai.
Check these usli / usal or sundal recipes – Black eyed beans usli , HesarukaLu/ Moong / Green Gram usli , Chana dal Usli / kadale bele usli, Kadlekalu usli
Here is simpleGreen Peas Usli or BataNi usli . I have prepared this usli with little bit of different spice mix, please try and share your comments.
- 1 cup dried peas
- 2 to 3 cups of water to soak and cook the peas
- 1 to 1¼ tsp salt or salt to taste
- handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup grated coconut(more or less)
- juice of half lemon/lime
- 3 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 to 2 pinches of hing/asafetida
- 1 to 2 green chillies(chopped)
- 1 red chilli
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp or less pepper
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin
- Wash and soak it in 2 to 3 cups of water overnight or 5 to 6 hour.
- once it is soaked, drain the water and cook this in fresh water. add 3 cups of water along with salt, little turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp jeera (to reduce the gas)
- if you are using pressure cooker then reduce the water quantity and cook it on medium heat, turn off after 2 whistles
- after 20 to 25 minutes, peas are cooked well. Turn off the heat and drain the excess water using a colander
- Heat a small pan on medium heat, dry roast the coriander seeds, pepper and jeera Turn off the heat once it starts to sp
- sputter. Don’t over roast the spice
- powder it using Mortar and pestle/kuttaNi
now to make the Usli:
- heat the oil in a pan, once hot add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add green chillies and then red chillies. add curry leaves
- add cooked and drained Batani/peas, the powdered masala. Mix it well. Add little water (you can use the water we drained from cooked peas).mix it for a minute or until the water evaporates.
- Serve this protein rich peas usli as side dish with rice, or snack.
- This masala powder is optional. instead of this you can add grated ginger to aid digestion
- once the water is evaporated, reduce the heat and add coconut, chopped coriander leaves. mix it well. Turn off the heat, finally add lemon juice mix it.
Note: we are using pepper in this recipe so use the chillies accordingly
- you can use both red and green chillies or you can use anyone variety as well