Vegan halbai recipe
Halbai is a traditional south indian sweet recipe. Usually ghee is used to make this sweet. Since we are vegans I tried with coconut oil. It tastes as delicious as the halbai made with ghee. If you are a halbai fan, and vegan, you should try this vegan halbai recipe.
Ingredients for making vegan halbai:
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1.5 cup jaggery ( more or less)
- 2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 4 cardamom
- 1/4 tsp rock salt or little salt
- 3 cups of water
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- grease the tray with some coconut oil and keep it ready
- Wash and soak the rice in 1 cup of water for 3 to 4 hours
- Grind soaked rice along with the soaked water, coconut and cardamom to a fine paste. Strain it through a sieve.
- Put the pulp back into the mixer jar and repeat the same procedure for 3 times.
- you can use the pulp while making rotti or dosa
- Melt the jaggery with 1/4 cup of water in a pan on medium heat
- Strain the jaggery syrup to the rice coconut milk
- Mix it well. Keep it on stove on medium low heat (make sure to use thick bottom pan ) Keep stirring until the rice coconut milk thickens
- keep stirring ( you can increase the flame to medium high or you can use medium low flame- adjust according to your comfort )
- as the mixture thickens add a tsp of coconut oil, mix it and keep stirring until the water evaporates
- Once the water has evaporated, the halbai is done. (Please watch the video )
- Turn off the heat and transfer the halbai to the greased plate and spread it using a spoon. Allow it to cool completely .
- Grease the knife and cut the halbai into desired shape and serve
- For the given measurement we can make around 30 pieces