Turmeric Root Chutney or Arishinada berina chutney -detailed Video recipe .
Turmeric powder is one of the important ingredients in our Indian Cooking. Apart from giving the color to the dish it has numerous health benefits. Please READ THIS ARTICLE ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF TURMERIC to know more about Arishina / Haldi / Manjal …
In this particular recipe we have to use fresh turmeric root to prepare the chutney.
Ingredients for making turmeric root chutney:
- 1 inch fresh turmeric root – around 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- marble size tamarind
- 1/2 tbsp jaggery
- 3 guntur red chilli and 3 byadgi red chilli
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- around 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp oil for frying the turmeric root
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp split black gram / Urad dal
- 1 red chilli
- Wash and slice the turmeric roots . Cut it as think discs as shown
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the turmeric pieces until it becomes crisp and the raw smell disappears (around 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat )
- Once it becomes crisp add the red chillies , turn off the heat and mix it, and allow it to cool
- After it cools completely transfer turmeric root and the chillies to a mixer jar, leave the oil in the pan itself.
- add tamarind, jaggery, salt and coconut to the mixer jar, Grind it along with the fried root and chillies without adding water first.
- Then add around 1/4 cup water and grind it to a coarse consistency
- Now the chutney is ready, you can use this as chutney or
- allow it to boil(stirring in between) for 3 to 4 minutes and turn off the heat. This is called Turmeric root gojju.
- Heat the oil in a ladle, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal,
- once the dals turn golden brown, turn off the heat and add broken red chilli
- Add the seasoning to the chutney/gojju and enjoy this healthy side dish with rice, rotti, roti….