Though mavinakayi gojju | mango gojju is a summer and seasonal recipe I forgot to post it on the website which I am doing now. Better late than never 🙂 This mango gojju is a sour, sweet and spicy dish which goes well with rotti, rotis and rice as well. This is a vegan, gluten free side dish.
Ingredients for mavinakayi gojju:
- 1 green mango / mavina kaayi
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds OR
- you can dry roast the seeds, powder it and add
- broken red chili pieces
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- few curry leaves
- 2 to 4 tbsp jaggery(depends on the sourness of the mango)
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Peel the skin and cut into small cubes once the oil is hot, add hing, mustard seeds, after it pops add methi seeds
- Fry it until the seeds turn golden brown,
- Add red chili pieces, curry leaves and cut mango.
- add turmeric powder and 1/2 the salt. Mix it well.
- Cover it and cook it on low heat. Add little water if needed.
- Once the mangoes are cooked, add remaining salt, chili powder and jaggery
- Mix it well. cover it and cook it on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes and then turn off the heat
- Serve the gojju with rice, rotti, chapathi ….. You can store it for a week or more if refrigerated.