Rotti is the kannadigas favorite breakfast. This Rotti can be prepared palin, or with vegetables.
It is healthy, filling, tasty and it is vegan and gluten free as well.
Here we have a rotti recipe using pumpkin. Pumpkin is washed, peeled and grated, adding some spices,jaggery, cook it and adding rice flour to the cooked pumpkin to make the dough, then make the rotti. Our family love this rotti and I am sure you will enjoy it as well.
Talking about pumpkin the other recipes I want you to try are
Pumpkin spicy idli
Pumpkin sweet idli
Pumpkin/butternut squash soup
Ingredients for making pumpkin rotti:
- 1 small pumpkin /chinikayi /sihi kumbalakayi (around 2 cups of grated pumpkin)
- OR around 2 cups of rice flour
- 1/2 cup jaggery (more or less depends on your liking)
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp sesame seeds/til
- 1/2 tbsp rock salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp jeera /cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- 1.5 cup water
- Wash , cut, scoop the seeds out, then peel the skin.
- grate the pumpkin
- around 2 cups of grated pumpkin
- Keep the water to boil on medium heat, add salt
- Once the water starts to boil add grated pumpkin,
- Melt the jaggery with 2 tbsp water in a separate pan on medium heat, then turn off the heat
- as it starts to boil again starin the melted jaggery. Mix it well and let it boil for another 2 minutes
- Then add pepper powder, sesame seeds, jeera, grated coconut, and cardamom powder mix it
- keep mixing by adding rice flour little by little as shown in the video. Turn off the heat.
- If required add more rice flour to the dough and mix it,
- I have used 2 cups of rice flour here.
- Consistency of the dough should be like rotti dough
- Divide the dough into 12 to 14 equal parts
Making the Rotti:
- Grease / oil the banana leaf or parchment paper/ holige paper and follow the procedure to prepare the rotti
- You can make the dough little hard and use the rolling pin roll the roti
- grease the tava, heat the tava on medium/medium low heat
- Once the tava is hot transfer the prepared rotti onto the hot tava
- Prepare the other rotti and keep it ready
- After a minute or so flip the rotti and cook on the other side as well
- Once it is cooked on both sides remove it and serve hot rotti
- Before making another rotti, put some oil and repeat the same procedure.