Lemon pickle with green chilies,bitter gourd, fresh ginger, Mango ginger (mavina shunti) and magaLi bEru / makaLi bEru.
Meals without pickle/uppina kaayi is something I cannot imagine. Mosaranna/curd rice with lemon/ nimbehannina uppinakayi is just out of this world! Nowadays we have so many options, buying from stores, buying from someone who makes at home or you can prepare at home.
This is the pickle with green chilies. You can add green (tender) peppercorns as well.
Other Pickles recipes
Amtekai pickle and
Ingredients for making lemon pickle with green chilies:
- 20 lemons
- 2 hagalakayi / bitter gourd
- 4 – 1.5 to 2 inches of fresh ginger
- 5- 2 inches roots of Mango ginger (mavina shunti)
- around 6 inches of magaLi bEru / makaLi bEru (swallow root root)
- ¾ cup salt
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 6 tbsp ಹುರಿದ ಮೆಂತ್ಯದ ಪುಡಿ roasted methi seeds powder/ roasted fenugreek powder
- 1 tbsp raw jeera/ cumin powder(not roasted – raw jeera powder)
- 1/2 tbsp pepper powder
- Wash, dry with a towel and cut the lemons as shown
- and wash ginger, makali beru, mavina shunti, and green chilies. dry this with a cotton cloth, then cut as shown in the video
- Transfer everything to a big pan. add salt,turmeric powder, mix it really well. Cover it and keep it aside.
- Next Day- again mix it really well, cover it and keep it aside.
- Follow this procedure for 2 to 3 days.
- After 2 to 3 days – mix well, add other ingredients – jeera powder, pepper powder, and methi powder, mix it really well.
- Then store this in a glass bottle or ceramic bottle, make sure the utensils, bottle , everything we use while making the pickle are dry.
- After 25 days- pickle is ready to eat.
- Take required amount of pickle to a bowl and add seasoning,
- heat the oil, once hot add mustard seeds , after it pops turn off the heat , let it cool before adding the seasoning to the pickle .
- Add the seasoning to the pickle and mix it,
- I am not using Hing/asafetida for this recipe because it will take away the nice aroma of the makali beru and also mavina shunti.
- If you find tender green peppercorns you can add that as well