Palak pulao – easy lunch box rice recipe.
This palak palav or palak rice | spinach rice is an easy one pot dish for a quick lunch or dinner.
Spinach is an excellent source of iron, Vitamin K, Vitamin A and folate along with magnesium, manganese and B2. Try this easy spinach pulao using these healthy leafy greens.
Ingredients for making palak pulao:
- 1 big bunch palak /spinach leaves . wash and keep it ready
- 1 cup rice ( 1 cup = 250 ml)
- around 2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp gasagase/poppy seeds
- 1 tsp saunf /sompu
- 2 to 10 green chillies
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut
- little coriander leaves
- kohlrabi /navilkol
- Wash and cut the vegetables.
- Wash and soak the rice in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes
- Boil a cup of water in a pan on high heat. once it starts to boil add washed spinach and let it cook for a minute or so and then turn off the heat
- grind all the ingredients listed under”for masala” without adding water. Add cooked spinach and grind it to a fine paste. add water only if needed
- heat the oil in a pressure pan on medium heat ,once hot add bay leaves, stir it, then add the masala, stir it until the raw smell disappears and the oil leaves the masala.
- Then add soaked rice along with water, let it boil.
- Add vegetables, salt and mix it. Cover the lid. turn off the heat after 1 to 2 whistles
- After the pressure is released completely, open the lid, gently mix it and Serve with raita or chips.