majjige huli recipe| sorekai majjige huli recipe|Bottle gourd recipe | sorekayi ಸೋರೆಕಾಯಿ ಮಜ್ಜಿಗೆಹುಳಿ
Majjige HuLi is a very popular dish in karnataka. One of the popular majjige huLi is using boodugumbala kai Majjige huli Recipe | Boodugumbalakayi Majjige huLior ash Gourd. But we as mysoreans prepare this nutritious and delicious majjige huLi with many different vegetables like Okra majjige huli / Bendekai, Thondekai majjige huli / tindora /ivy gourd , radish, potato, dantina soppu, kesuvina soppu …. Each vegetable majjige huLi has its own unique taste.
Here in this recipe I am using sorekai / bottle gourd/opo /lauki for making the delicious majjige huli.
Majjige huli goes well with nuchinunde, ambode , rice , and rice rotti , ragi rotti as well.
Ingredients for making majjige huli:
- 2 cups of cubed sorekai
- 2.5 to 3 cups of water
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 to 2 cups of homemade buttermilk or
- To 3/4 cup curd/yogurt add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water, whisk or pulse it
- 1 tbsp chana dal/kalde bele/bengal gram (wash and soak it in 3 tbsp water for an hour)
- little coriander leaves
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 to 4 green chilies
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 2 tsp coconut oil or any cooking oil
- Pinch of hing (optional)
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pan on medium heat.
- Wash and cut the sorekai / lauki/opo/bottle gourd as shown
- Scoop the middle part(you can use this for dosa batter)
NOTE: If the bottle gourd/soreakiis tender no need to peel the skin
- cut into small cubes as shown
- Add this to the boiling water
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt and few curry leaves, mix it, cover it and cook it until the sorekai are cooked well
- Grind all these ingredients mentioned unger” to grind” to a fine paste, add water if needed
- You can add little fresh ginger as well
- Once the vegetable is cooked well add the masala, add little water to the mixer jar and add that as well.
- Add another 1/2 tsp of salt or salt to taste, mix it well and reduce the heat to low. Let it boil for 5 minutes
- Now add 1 to 1.5 cups of butter milk or
- To 3/4 cup curd/yogurt add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water, whisk or pulse it. add it to the majjige huli
- mix it and let it boil on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes
- Turn off the heat, and give the seasoning
- Heat oil in a ladle on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add hing, mustard seeds
- after mustard seeds pop add jeera/cumin seeds, fry it for 10 seconds and then turn off the heat add the seasoning to the majjige huli.Mix it
- Mix it and serve with rice, nucchinunde ..
- Make sure to boil this on low heat else majjige huli will curdle on high heat
- by Boiling on low heat we an have the majjige huli next day without getting sour