Peanut usli or groundnut usli is a healthy, nutritious snack or side dish. It is easy to make after school snack. Soak the peanuts, cook then and season it with our regular hing, mustard seeds and chillies. Adding Onion is optional in this usli. This is gluten free Vegan dish. For festivals like Ganesha and navarathri skip adding onions and make this usli to offer it to god and share it with friends and family.
Try other peanut recipes such as
Peanut / shenga chutney powder
Congress kadlekai / masala peanuts
Peanut and coconut chikki
Peanut laddu / kadlekai unde
Ingredients for making peanut usli:
- 1/2 cup groundnuts/ peanuts
- around 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 medium size onion
- few curry leaves
- finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp powdered jaggery
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp split black gram / urad dal
- 2 to 3 green chillies ( finely chopped or slit)
- 1/8 tsp hing/asafetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash and soak the peanuts in 1/2 cup water for 3 to 5 hours
- Pressure cook the soaked peanuts along with water and salt on medium heat , turn off the heat after 1 to 2 whistles
- Finely chop the onion and green chillies and keep it ready.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, once hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add urad dal and hing . Fry it until the dal turns golden brown, and also add curry leaves.
- Once the dals turn golden brown add turmeric powder, green chillies, fry it for few seconds, then add chopped onion fry it for a minute and then add cooked peanuts, jaggery and pinch of salt, stir it for 2 to 3 minutes,
- Now add chopped coriander leaves, mix it and turn off the heat
- Finally squeeze the lemon juice, add coconut and mix it well and Peanut / groundnut usli is ready to serve.
- You can use the cooked peanut water to make rasam or sambar.