Kayi huLi | Mangalore style kayi huli
Kayi huli | navilkosu kayi huli is udupi – Mangalore / Malnad style sambar or huli. The main ingredient is kayi – that is coconut hence the name kayi huLi. Usually we add curd or yogurt to this sambar at the end, since I am vegan I am not adding curd. Feel free to add curd /yogurt at the end. I am using kohlrabi \ navilkol / navilkosu |in this recipe ,but this sambar can be prepared using cucumber, beetroot, tondakai/tindora as well. This is a different kind of huli/sambar for rice, rotti, and chapathi .
This is vegan, gluten free, no onion and no onion recipes.
Ingredients for making kayi huLi:
- 2 gedde kOsu / navil kosu / kohlrabi
- 1¼ cup fresh grated coconut(white part)
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp rice
- chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste or
- 1/2 tsp (while cooking the vegetable)
- 1 tsp more after adding masala
- around 10 curry leaves
- around 4 cup water
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 byadadi red chilli
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 1/2 to 1 hour
- Wash and peel the skin, and cut the navil kosu as shown in the video
- Cook the cut navil kosu with 2 cups of water along with 1/2 tsp salt on medium heat
- Once it starts to boil add curry leaves
- Grind coconut, soaked rice, green chillies and jeera to coarse paste. add water to grind
- once the vegetables are cooked add masala.
- Add salt, mix it well. finally add chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- After adding the masala no need to boil the kayi huLi.
Now for seasoning:
- heat the oil in a ladle on medium heat
- Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, after it pops add jeera, fry it for few seconds, add red chilli. Turn off the heat
- add the seasoning to the kayi huLi, mix it.
- Since we don’t boil the huLi after adding the masala it will get spoiled quickly. So prepare this kayi huLi for one meal and enjoy!
- You can prepare this recipe with cucumber, mangalore cucumber, beetroot, thondekai(ivy gourd)….