Peanut yogurt | Vegan curd or non dairy curd | vegan yogurt recipe |dairy free curd recipe
We already have vegan curd / yogurt using soy milk, – soy yogurt / curd. This is another yogurt for vegans using peanuts or groundnuts. Very easy to make and it can be used for majjige huLi recipe, tambuli recipes and whichever the recipes calls for curd.
Ingredients for vegan yogurt recipe:
- 1/2 cup nelagadale / kadale bija/ groundnuts/peanuts
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tsp lime/lemon juice
- Wash and soak the peanuts in 1 cup of water for 4 hours or overnight
- drain the water from the soaked peanuts and grind it along with 1 cup of water
- strain using a muslin cloth or fine mesh strainer as shown here
- put the pulp back into the mixer jar, add another cup of water and repeat the same procedure.
- repeat the same procedure for the 3rd time. then discard the pulp
Making the yogurt:
- Let this peanut milk boil on medium heat. Stir in between
- Once the milk starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and let it boil for another 3 minutes. Then turn off the heat
- When it is slightly hot rather than warm, add lemon juice . mix it well
- Once this curd/yogurt is set you can use this curd as your starter.
- Mix it well, cover it and keep it aside in a warm place . It may take 5 to 8 hours to set. Now it is ready to use.
- To start with you can use regular curd/yogurt as a starter and then for the next time onwards use the prepared peanut curd as a starter to make the curd.