Banana stem chutney recipe | baledindina chutney
Banana stem chutney is a healthy and tasty chutney recipe which goes well with idli, chapathi, dose, and hot rice with little coconut oil. This is vegan and gluten free chutney. Also no onion and no garlic chutney .
Banana plants or trees are like Kamadhenu. every part is used 🙂 green Plantain, banana, Banana stem – and the banana flower can be used.
Banana stem is the best detoxifying food. This bale dindu is used in the southern part of India- Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu..
Banana stem is a rich source of fiber, potassium, Vitamins and it is diuretic . Regular use of this banana stem helps to detoxify the body , helps in weight loss, and prevents kidney stones.
Interested in other banana stem recipes? Check this –
How to prepare the Banana Stem before using it:
Remove or peel every layer of the stem( 2 to 3) until you get the center core. This is the one we should use.
Wash this and cut it into small circles (disks) while removing the fiber using the fingers . Finely chop these pieces.
To prevent the chopped stem becoming brown, either place it in buttermilk, or squeeze some lemon juice and mix it .
Ingredients for making banana stem chutney:
- Banana Stem (remove the outer layers and take the center part of the stem)
- 1 tsp uddina bele / urad dal /split black gram
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- around 20 curry leaves
- 4 byadagi red chillies(more or less)
- marble size tamarind soaked in water
- 1 tsp rock salt or salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp jaggery
- around 1/2 cup fresh coconut
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp uddina bele / urad dal
- few broken red chili pieces
- Cut the banana stem as shown in the video
- Steam cook the cut banana stem on medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes. Then turn off the heat, and let it cool
To make the banana stem chutney:
- Heat 1/4 tsp oil in a pan on medium low heat,
- Once the oil is hot add chilies, fry it for a few seconds. add urad dal, curry leaves and coriander seeds.
- Fry it until the dals turn golden brown.
- As the dals turn golden brown, turn off the heat and let it cool a bit.
- Grind the steam cooked banana stem along with coconut , above masale, salt, jaggery, tamarind and water to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl
- Heat the oil in a ladle on medium low heat, once the oil is hot add hing, mustard seeds. Urad dal/
- Once the mustard pops and dals turn golden brown, add curry leaves and chili pieces, fry for a few seconds. Turn off the heat
- add the seasoning to the chutney and now the chutney is ready to serve. Goes well with rice, rotti, chapati, idli…